Reading at Sir John Heron
Did you know these reading facts?
1. Reading to your child helps in early language development.
2. Read 20 minutes a day and you'll read 1,800,00 words per year.
3. Reading is the fastest way to build vocabulary. You can learn 4,000 to 12,000 words per year through reading.
4. Every book counts. If you read just one book a day to your child, they will have been read 1825 books by their 5th birthday!
4. Reading improves brain function and increases knowledge.
A parent support guide for reading
How we learn to read at Sir John Heron
At Sir John Heron, the main method that we use to teach reading is through Ruth Miskin's RWI scheme (see link below) from Nursery to Year 2. Once children are confident readers, we teach comprehension across the curriculum and have targeted sessions of Reciprocal Reading to develop children's reading skills.
These links take you to the Ruth Miskin training page with a whole range of videos made for parents. These will introduce you to Read, Write Inc phonics, as well as show you how sounds are pronounced and also help show you how we teach the children at school. This will allow you to be able to support your children in the same way that we do at school.
Set 2 Sounds
Come and Visit Our School Library!
There are lots of exciting books in our school library which are available for you to read! There is a classical literature section, which includes titles such as Black Beauty, White Fang and Oliver Twist. The Harry Potter books are also available, as well as a series of Shakespeare books including Macbeth and The Tempest. So come and explore all the books the school’s library has to offer!
Our Outdoor Reading Garden!
Our Site Supervisor has worked tirelessly to create our beautiful outdoor Reading Garden!